Frequently Asked Questions


Register today and you will be able to: 

  • view the balance on your account 
  • make quick and secure payments using a debit or credit card  
  • let us know of any changes to your billing address or other details  
  • sign up for paperless billing and receive rent invoices directly to your inbox 

You will require your 8-digit Account Number along with your 6-digit Unique Code. These can be found on any rent invoices or correspondence from us.


The Login and Register buttons can always be found at the top right of our website.

Forgotten password

Please use our forgotten password option in the first instance. You will need your account number and email address used to register. A new password will be sent to you immediately, you can then log into your account here

Recover Account

If you no longer have access to the email address used to register, please click here, you will need your account number and security question answers.

If you are still having problems logging in, please contact us.

To receive rent invoices by email simply register for an online account and log in, click on My Account, update Method of Correspondence to Email, and click on Update Contact Details.


Log into your account to make a secure credit or debit card payment through our website.  We accept all major credit and debit cards, except for American Express.


Pay using our secure automated telephone line, available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Call + 44 (0)20 8371 2800, selecting option 1 followed by option 1.  We accept all major credit and debit cards, except for American Express.

To find out more, please visit our Payments and Billing page.

Please contact our Ground Rent Team who will be pleased to assist you.  Our client may have purchased an interest in your property very recently and the previous Landlord may not have forwarded your payment to our client yet.

Change of address

Please notify us of your new billing address by simply logging in and updating the My Details tab.  For your security, we require the change of address instruction in writing.

Change of name

If you have changed your name either through marriage or deed poll we will require a photocopy of the certificate or deed in order to update your account.  

Removal of a name

If one named party needs to be removed from an account we will require documentation, for example a photocopy of a death certificate. 

If you have bought or sold your property we will require legal documentation.  Please ask your solicitor to contact us. Full information is provided on our Buying or selling page.

We will require formal documentation from the buyers, please ask the buyer's solicitors to contact us.

This situation may arise due to the previous owner failing to pay the arrears.  The Solicitor who acted for you in your purchase of the property should have noticed this or any rent reviews still pending and made allowances for this with the previous owner of the property prior to the sale.  Please ensure that you settle all arrears as quickly as possible in order to avoid further action which may result in you incurring significant legal costs.

Please contact the property manager billing you for service charges regarding any queries you may have concerning maintenance.  We do not provide property maintenance services, appointing specialist agents on behalf of the Landlord where appropriate.

The Landlord's consent may be required if you wish to make any alterations or additions to your property.  Examples of such additions or alterations include the building of a conservatory, erection of a partition, removal of a wall, installation of new windows, erection of a satellite dish, etc.  Some leases also require the Landlord's consent to keep a pet.  Please visit the Alterations and consents page for more information. If consent is required and not obtained, you may be in breach of your lease terms.

The Landlord is often responsible for the insurance of a building so that it can be rebuilt if it is completely destroyed.  The exact requirements will be contained within the lease or transfer document relating to a property. Buildings insurance is different to household contents insurance. It is the responsibility of homeowners to obtain their own household contents insurance. 

We work with a panel of insurance brokers to ensure our insurance offerings are fit for purpose, responsive and reasonably priced.  

It is important that insurance invoices are paid promptly so that blocks remain insured and all homeowners are covered.  

If you have any queries relating to your insurance arrangements, you can contact our specialist Insurance Team who will be able to assist you with any enquiries you may have including making a claim.

The Landlord's consent is often required prior to the commencement of subletting, or renting of properties and in some cases further conditions must be met according to the terms of the lease or transfer documents associated with the property. If you are thinking about or have sublet your property, please visit our Subletting or renting page and complete our online form.

Your lease would usually require you to obtain consent and/or register the sublet with the Landlord.

Please note that the application to register subtenancy is now available online, for a reduced fee:

  1. Log in to our website and
  2. select ‘’Application forms’’ from the menu bar
  3. Select ‘’Sublet Registration’’ from the drop down options
  4. complete the details,
  5. Payment will follow

If you are unable to see the sublet form online please Contact Us 'I wish to sublet or rent my property'.

You may be able to obtain a copy of your lease directly from HM Land Registry. Alternatively, we may be able to provide you with a copy, subject to a fee. Please complete our form on our Contact Us page, should you wish to request a copy from us.

Your lease will set out any review of the ground rent including the frequency and method.

You should have received a notice explaining your ground rent review. Please take a moment to register or log in to your Homeowner Online Services account to instantly access an electronic copy.

The solicitor acting for you in your purchase of the property should have explained the lease terms including any ground rent reviews.

Wherever possible, we include advance notice of a ground rent review on our ground rent demands.

Your lease outlines the amount of ground rent payable, when it is due and how it may be reviewed during the term of your lease.

Leases often set out that a ground rent is to be increased in line with inflation, the increase in the property value, or a fixed amount.  For further information, please refer to your lease.  The rent review notice includes information about a review and recent letters are available on your homeowner online account.

The lease sets out the date on which the reviewed ground rent is due.  Due to the timing of the rent review and invoicing periods an additional charge may be applied to your account to bring invoicing up to date.  

A ground rent adjustment is calculated from the date of the rent review, at the reviewed ground rent less any ground rent already invoiced for the ground rent period.

For example, ground rent of £250 per annum invoiced annually in advance for the period 1 January to 31 December is invoiced a month in advance of 1 January, i.e. 1 December.  The ground rent is reviewed on 1 July increasing by £50 per annum.  A ground rent adjustment is applied to the account for the period 1 July to 31 December for £25 once the review has been completed.

Leases often set out that a ground rent is to be increased in line with the increase in the value of the building or block.  The First Value of the Building is the sum of the original premiums for each property in the building or block.  The original premiums can be found in the leases for each property.

The Review Value of the Building or block is the sum of the open market valuations for each property in the building or block at the date of review.  This valuation is determined by the landlord, based on market comparables.

Please note that the First Value of the Building and the Review Value of the Building will be available only once the ground rent review has been completed.

A ground rent notice which may include a ground rent adjustment will be sent to the homeowner once the ground rent review has been completed.  It may not always be possible to complete a rent review ahead of the rent review date, for example while awaiting publication of the Retail Price Index to be used or a valuation.  We do endeavour to include notification of a pending ground rent review on our ground rent invoices.

Whilst we hope that you will never have reason to complain about any aspect of our performance, we do recognise that sometimes things may go wrong and you may need to bring this to our attention.  We welcome your feedback and you can telephone or write to us at any time and ask for a copy of our Complaints Procedure which explains how we will treat your complaint.  You can also email us directly at our dedicated email address:   

E&M is a member of an independent consumer redress scheme, The Property Ombudsman (TPO) (“the Ombudsman”), who will consider complaints about our service which are not finally resolved through our internal Complaints Procedure. Full details of the Ombudsman and the way the redress scheme operates can be found at, and more details about what you should do before referring a complaint to the Ombudsman are set out in our Complaints Procedure.

Please note that we have a separate complaints handling procedure for insurance related issues, as we deal with these in accordance with our regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”).  You can telephone or write to our specialist Insurance Team or email  If you still feel that we have not been able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, after this process you may have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service; the address is: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower London E14 9SR; Email:  If you take any of the action above, it does not affect your statutory right to take legal action.

Yes, if you are renting your property to a subtenant and receiving rent, this is referred to as subletting/underletting under the terms of your lease.

Your lease may require you to obtain consent to sublet and/or register every new tenancy agreement with the landlord. If you have obtained consent from the previous landlord, please email a copy to us at so that we can review and update our records.

If you are unable to provide a copy of consent, please register the current tenancy by registering on our website and logging in to your account, selecting 'Subletting Registration' and following the onscreen instructions.

The selective licence scheme is set up by local authorities for private landlords who let their properties. In addition to obtaining a selective licence from a local authority where required, you are also required to comply with the lease terms and obtain consent to sublet and/or register the sublet with the landlord.